Design, deploy, and maintain a web-based GIS system to support the construction of a 670 km pipeline.
VDP Deployment - Coastal GasLink
Visual Data Portal (VDP) Deployment
Survey, Land, Environmental, Archaeology, Construction & Regulatory
The goal was to build and maintain a centralized repository with the project’s most up-to-date information and make it accessible to all disciplines and contractors through a visual mapping interface on desktop and mobile platforms with offline capabilities. By having a one stop source of project ‘truth’, the teams would reduce errors and inefficiencies due to knowledge gaps or the use of outdated information.
- Requirements gathering to understand the client teams’ data and needs
- Development of standards to ensure data consistency across the project
- Consolidation and auditing of discipline and reference information
- Data transformation into web-mapping formats
- Design and maintenance of web maps and applications to host and present the information visually
- Training materials, workshops, and on-going user-support
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
CWL Energy worked with the client’s implementation team to compile the project’s information and engage the rest of the client teams, as well as numerous consultants and contractors. We coordinated with all subject matter experts and designed automated processes to take their information, audit, report on it, and publish it in a web-mapping platform for easy and intuitive access both in the field and in the office.
PROJECT OUTCOMES OR LEARNINGS
Challenges included continuous changes in the breadth and scope of the information to publish on the platform, resulting in several cycles of requirements and feedback gathering. The result is a web GIS platform with over 600 users distributed across 30 different groups, bringing significant gains in efficiency, communication, and data governance. Its functionality continues to evolve as the client identifies even more opportunities to leverage its capabilities.